Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Coming Out of the Dark

I returned to the gym this week.  Though the hurricane's effects lasted only 6 days in our buildings, it took me more than a week after that to do what it took to go back.  Somehow, the darkness at 5am seemed darker, the park that I walk through to go to the building with the gym had blown over trees, and no matter what I was doing, I seemed to be tired every morning at the time that I'd have to go.  So, day after day passed, with us in our once again lit, functional apartment, but instead of getting up and out, I wasted time on the internet or re-set the alarm and rolled over for an extra half hour.  It was as if I couldn't come out of no-power mode.

I wondered, would this be the end of my several-month stretch of an exercise regimen?  When it got colder, would the challenge be even greater, perhaps insurmountable?

Monday, I forced myself into shorts and a t-shirt, and sleepily made my way to the elevator, headphones borrowed from my daughter (where did mine go?)  The blown down trees were gone, but one of the basketball hoops was secured with tape.  And miraculously, my legs still remembered how to do the elliptical.

I have gone each day since, and today, I wore my full-length coat over my workout clothes.  I guess I really will be able to do this once it gets colder.

Now we just need to re-fill our refrigerator, so that I don't counteract all my exercise with takeout meals and junk food.

I guess I--and we--are finally coming out of the dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment