Thursday, November 1, 2012

Skies (And Minds) Are Clearing

It will be a long time before the fallout of the storm fades away. For many, it will be months or more before their lives return to normal.  But tonight, for the first time in days, my head is starting to clear. Which is good, because any day now, I'll be scrambling to catch up on the home editing our power failure brought to a standstill and, oh, yeah, looking for a new gig.  Amazing how fast a few week gig goes--even when a hiatus and a hurricane spread it out!

I met my "showrunner" today, a non-New Yorker who commented on how friendly and helpful she saw New Yorkers being in the aftermath of the storm.


Perhaps that was the beginning of my head-clearing.  To hear from someone who could observe that the city I call home will come out okay was oddly reassuring, and her excitement about moving on to her next place was a reminder to me that when one challenge ends, another can begin.  I have a feeling that will be my job search mantra this time out.  That, and the knowledge that, given the chance, I can learn a whole lot of things.


This week alone, I mastered walking down 17 flights of stairs (well, not mastered, but got a whole lot better), learned how to cook okra (it was about to be a casualty of our freezer defrosting--what else could I do?), and, oh, yes, figured out how to put a paint effect on track 2 so that it does exactly what I want it to do (don't worry, if you're not an editor, you don't need to have any idea what that means!)


We can all bounce back, in one way or another, from one thing or another, whether it's a storm, or a job loss, or anything else that changes our life.  Because life will change. It will.  But if we're lucky enough to happen upon (or surround ourselves with) people who give us the time to change, and learn, and--this part is key--we embrace the changing and learning, we're likely to bounce back so well, there will be no bringing us down.

No comments:

Post a Comment