Thursday, November 29, 2012

Troubleshooting

When I worked at One Life to Live, while I considered myself fairly persistent at finding answers, the reality was, help was often just a phone call away.  Editing computer crashes--call the Post Producer.  Control room mike too loud--call Audio. Spill dressing on your pants--call Wardrobe (yes, lucky us, they really helped with stuff like that!)

Now that I am often working from home, on editing projects, writing, and plain old networking and sending out resumes, it's just me.  Well, my husband does jump in sometimes, and the aforementioned Post Producer did say I could call him any time with questions, but these are busy people, and so, as a part of my freelance education, I have become a whole lot more savvy about troubleshooting.  

It's a little funny that troubleshooting would ever have been a problem--not only was I an AD who was called upon to troubleshoot lots of things, I am a mother who has figured out childcare for three kids, simultaneous pick-ups at three separate schools, and making pasta both al dente enough for my husband and mushy enough for my kids.  Nonetheless, when I look at my reaction to a computer program crash or video exporting specifications now versus what it was a year ago, I am actually amazed.  I search for answers, I watch tutorials, I try different possibilities.  There is a kind of fearlessness bred from either hours alone or a need to get things done or simply a drive to move forward from where I was back then.  

When One Life ended, I could see that what many of us would miss was the structure it provided--not just a place to go every day, but a set-up that we understood.  Departments that accomplished separate pieces yet worked together. Contact sheets that told you exactly where to call for just about anything.  A net below the daily production tightrope.
 

Well, guess what, folks?  The net is gone.  Or at least it's a whole lot farther from the rope I'm on now.  And from where I'm standing (teetering?), I guess I'm doing okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment