Monday, November 26, 2012

Something New Every Day

Following an interview I had today, I decided a brush-up on certain computer program skills was in order.  There was a time that would have meant searching for a teacher or a class, and then figuring out how to schedule the chosen educational scenario into our family calendar.  Now, however, I needed to look no farther than my computer itself.  There were so many online tutorials to help me, I could literally pick one based on my response to the sound of the narrator's voice.  I am happy to report that my chosen voice and I spent several hours today having me practice the program, "homework" and all, and we'll continue with "class" tomorrow.

So--this could be a blog extolling the wonders of the internet, and it certainly is amazing how much you can find there.  But my point here is somewhat bigger.  Each morning, I put my children on buses to schools where they learn new things every day.  I have been out of school for quite some time, and yet, without sitting in a classroom, I find that there are new things I too can learn every day.  Some days, it's a breakthrough in the kitchen (for a person who most of the time has no business being in the kitchen!).  Others, it's knowledge acquired from a conversation with a friend.  Sometimes it's just reading something in a book or newspaper.  And, on a day like today, it's an online tutorial.

It would be incredibly easy at this point in my life and career to say that I've spent enough time in school and learning on the job, that my years of acquired knowledge are enough.  But would I ever encourage my children to stop at what they know now?  Of course not.  And if I'm not willing to learn every day, I cut myself off from new experiences, and particularly from new opportunities.

So, I'm very happy to have been given a reason to find my online tutorial, whether I get the job or not (gosh, I hope I do!).  I have learned a great deal today.  And I will learn a whole lot more tomorrow.  And, no doubt, every day, for many days to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment