Friday, November 9, 2012

Halloween

Yes, for those of you who read my post about Thanksgiving a week ago, Halloween.  Really.  Halloween was blacked out in much of New York and New Jersey last week, remember?  You can't exactly go trick-or-treating in a 21-story building when the elevators aren't working and the stairwells and hallways are pitch black.  But, thanks to a community-spirited building, Halloween was just postponed, not canceled (turned out, two of my kids' schools did the same).  So tonight, my children donned their costumes and, armed with the famous "who's giving out candy" list, set off to fill their treat bags.  And, in the tradition I started last year, they went door to door in the building, while I stayed home to give out candy.  (I actually forgot to sign up on the famous "who's giving out candy" list, but spent several hours sitting in my doorway, listening for groups of kids and giving out treats. Turned out the woman at the other end of my hall had forgotten too, so, as trick-or-treaters exited the elevator, they were met with a stereo version of "I'm not on the list, but I have candy!")

I knew I'd enjoyed this last year, but I was reminded of one of the reasons why when a group of tweenish girls saw my Emmys from the doorway (my living room is a disaster area, but what they saw were the Emmys!), and literally wanted to have my autograph.  I let them take turns holding one (heavier than they expected) and take pictures.  I actually think they were going to Google me (at which point, they'd either realize I'm not THAT exciting or discover and start reading my blog).


Funny how, as much as I seemed to "make their night," they kind of made mine too.  I don't know if I'll ever win an Emmy again.  I'd be excited if I did, but who knows?  Meanwhile, they reminded me that I did once--well, three times--and that it's a pretty darn exciting thing.  I guess I like Halloween more than I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment