Friday, November 30, 2012

Where's Right to Write?

When I started writing this blog, many people asked me how I would possibly have an ongoing stream of things about which I could write.  I grant them, there definitely are days when it's a bit of a struggle to settle on a topic, or to flesh out a topic that seems like a good idea.

What I didn't think about so much when I started was WHERE I would write.  I figured I had multiple blank notebooks, so, whether it was on a bus or on my couch, I'd find a place to write.  These days, as I have been writing later in the evening, the presence of a notebook, or even an iPod with a "Notes" feature, isn't necessarily enough.  Between kids needing help with homework and a husband and kids practicing piano and the making and clearing of dinner, my home is a noisy place, not necessarily conducive to thoughtful writing.


So, where to write?  This week, it has become the kitchen floor. Let's face it, after dinner, when pots have to be scrubbed, and icky plates have to be scraped and put in the dishwasher, my kids disappear awfully quickly, so my kitchen, a city kitchen, with floor space just 3 feet wide, is a relatively quiet spot. Even if I hear the craziness, I'm not in the middle of it.


Thankfully, there are still some days when I get my post idea early and grab "alone time" while waiting for a school bus, or traveling from Point A to Point B.  But on the days when the great idea waits until 8pm to arrive, I've found that the kitchen floor does pretty well.


And when I'm done writing, I know exactly which spots need to be mopped!

1 comment: