Saturday, November 10, 2012

Lego People


Tucked into the frame of my son's bed is a constantly growing collection of Lego people.  They range from Star Wars characters to robots and Minotaurs to Little Red Riding Hood (you never know what you'll get when you buy a mystery pack).

While I have been aware when he's acquired some of them, I hadn't realized the extent of the collection until tonight, when I sat in my kids' room, just craving a few minutes of quiet. (It's rarely loud in there--the kids tend to make noise in every OTHER part of the apartment!)


What struck me about the Lego people, in addition to their sheer number and their feet (I just love those Lego feet!) was the fact that they are so unbelievably adaptable.  Almost all of them have hair or a hat which makes them a particular person, but since these items are largely interchangeable, a Star Wars guy can become Little Red Riding Hood, a construction guy can become a fireman, and I suspect the robot can become a Minotaur.  And it's amazing how the fiercest looking Star Wars storm trooper starts to appear pretty powerless when you take off his helmet, leaving him bald.


Now, I don't aspire to having Lego feet--I like walking, thank you very much--and these guys' hands have fairly limited ability, but I do like the adaptability thing.  There are some days when I am happy to be baking and delivering treats (not that I have a red hooded cape), and other days when it would be hugely helpful to wear a mask that both protected me and made me look scary.  And once in a while, I certainly wouldn't mind having my only responsibilty be to spend my days hanging out on the edge of a kid's bed until someone decides what hat I'll be wearing.


For now, I will continue to wear my multiple hats--or heads--each day and just enjoy watching the Lego people collection grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment