Monday, December 17, 2012

Career Services

If I had a dollar for every job lead I've forwarded to someone else over the past year, I'd be a whole lot happier with my bank account right about now.  For a long time, people were suggesting I go into human resources, which I thought about, but I realized that the feel-good feeling it gave me wouldn't necessarily come with a job doing that.  And besides, who's going to hire a TV director and editor to do human resources? Even though directing kind of is making the most of humans and their assorted resources, and editing really is getting the best benefits from what options you're given.  Hmmm.
 

In any case, while the leads I have forwarded to people have led to ideas and perhaps interviews, only one that I know of has actually resulted in employment.  Okay, my process may be first-rate, but my quantifiable results--number of jobs actually gotten--not so good.  And in this world, it's more about quantifiable results than about helping friends.
 

So add this to the list of things I've done over the years that could be careers--catering, children's book writing, proofreading scientific papers, laying out photo calendars and newsletters, canvassing neighborhoods for auction donations--the list goes on.  Each a thing done for love or charity or to help a friend, none particularly job-worthy.  Yet, on a day like today, when the sky is gray and the job leads are grayer, perhaps it's worth considering a few of these.  Or maybe a combination of them.  At least as a list of skills on the resume.  Might be worthwhile.

Well, at least until I find out more about this soaps online rumor....

No comments:

Post a Comment