Saturday, December 22, 2012

Decisions Deferred

We are cleaning today.  Again.  Amazing how a family of five can so rapidly turn a two-bedroom apartment into an obstacle course.
 

I would love to say that the clutter and mess are all the fault of my children, but, alas, I have my unsorted piles too The piles of things that need to go to the dry cleaner but haven't, the piles of mail items that were somewhere between the obvious throw-outs and the bills needing to be paid.  The piles of things that just don't fit into any category.
 

As I go through my various piles (and hope that, without me standing there, my children are doing the same), I come across a sweater that never feels quite right when I wear it (okay, the hanger in the store did more for it than I do!).  Do I get rid of it immediately?  Or do I just put it away and hope that one day either it will look better or I will feel so ruthless that the decision will be obvious?  Decision deferred.  Then there's the pile of paperwork from a video I made twelve years ago.  Clutter for sure, but does it matter for record keeping or for sentimental value?  Decision deferred.
 

The problem with deferred decisions is that while they lift the pressure in that moment (and that feels really good!), they leave the clutter.  Physical clutter AND mental clutter.  How do I develop a look to wear for facing the world now, when my drawers are full of things that may have worked then, but don't anymore? How do I create clear thinking and working spaces when every space is filled with the paperwork of my past?  How sentimental can I afford to be if what I want is to move forward, not just look back?
 

Not that I really want "Cleaning Day" to turn into "Cleaning Weekend," but maybe tomorrow is a good day to make some of those decisions.  So I can move forward, clutter-free (well, let's not push it--clutter-less) on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment