Saturday, December 15, 2012

The Secret Santa Society

It would be hard to write anything about today without acknowledging the literally hundreds of Santas we saw in our travels.  No, we did not visit the kid floor at Macy's.  All we needed to do was be out in New York City, and we were faced with more Santas and elves than I have encountered probably in my whole life (not to mention a few candy canes and Christmas trees with feet).

While I know that this was likely just another way for people to party in the city, the by-product of it was not only a great deal of amusement for us, but a source of conversation between parents and children everywhere we went.  We are not Santa Claus believers anyway, but I do wonder what some of those children thought when their strollers went through a sea of Santas at every corner.

Now, as I always ask, what makes the Santas blogworthy? Well, they were awfully funny.  And on one of those days when I am reminded that just going out of the apartment in NYC costs money, they were free entertainment--how often do you get that?  And it was interesting to think that all these people who probably spend their weekdays in suits had actually bought Santa outfits. (It never occurred to me that so many people--and not necessarily people with kids at home--owned Santa-wear!) 

I think the thing that struck me the most, though, was how much of a community it became.  Somehow, all these people "got the memo" that this was Santa day (a memo I've never gotten), and they went for it, I guess the same way I would go for it to help one of my kids' schools (or, okay, I'll admit, go for if there were a Snoopy or Muppet event).  After a week of far too much isolation, I guess I was just glad to be reminded that there is community out there.  And although I am unlikely to be seen in a bar, dressed in a Santa suit, any time soon, I have to thank them for a laugh-filled, and, in an odd way, eye-opening day.

No comments:

Post a Comment