Friday, December 28, 2012

Year End Evaluation: Completing the File

About a week ago, I wrote that I was beginning a year end evaluation, and promised that results would follow.  So, today, the last day of many people's work year, the results for my file...

1. Has the work that I've done this year made me feel competent and challenged?  In an odd way, yes.  Though the freelance assignments have been farther apart than I'd have liked, I came out of them more savvy about music and sound editing, more comfortable about walking into new situations, and more confident about technical troubleshooting in the absence of a tech support person.  And in between the freelance assignments, I wrote children's stories, a daily blog, and more zingy cover letters than I can count.

 

2. Is what I'm working on giving me satisfaction about what I'm putting out into the world?  Well, I went into the year believing that I would be producing content for children, and, with the exception of the children's books in progress and the notes to teachers that I have written for my own kids, that has not happened quite the way I'd pictured.  I can say, though, that I have been very satisfied with my participation in the Children's Media Association (CMA), so perhaps this goal is just a longer term one than originally anticipated.  As for the rest of what I've done, I have tried to put my own stamp on assorted editing projects.  Oh, and I'm very satisfied with doing a daily blog.
 

3. Interesting interactions with interesting people?  I would have said that this was an area that needed work.  After all, there have been many days of sitting at home or in an edit room, interacting with not much of anybody, interesting or not.  When, however, I consult my appointment calendar from the year, the written record says different.  I attended numerous CMA events and followed up with coffees and lunches with members.  I reached out to people whose work I'd heard about for years and got to hear about their careers first hand.  And I made new friends who had absolutely nothing to do with my career.
 

4. Is it working for my family? Financially, not so great, but logistically, it's pretty nice to be able to drop off and pick up my kids, to be home for deliveries and workmen.  And otherwise?  That depends on the day.  To be determined at the next evaluation.
 

5. Would I do something (or many somethings) differently?  I can't deny that I'd like more of a structure, with a few more "knowns" and a few less "unknowns."  I would, perhaps, branch out in my search, considering the idea that my next thing might not be in television.  And I would try to focus more on learning and less on searching.  And try to be a bit more satisfied with how things are, even if there are a lot of pieces I haven't yet gotten right.
 

Conclusions of 2012 Year End Evaluation:
 

1.  While employee was lacking in generating funds, she gained new skills and contacts.
2. While employee fell short of a complete transition to children's media, she made significant steps and should continue to do so.
3. Employee should continue to work on learning while maintaining the strong relationships she has developed over the year.
4. Employee should aim for an open-minded approach to new projects, rather than concentrating only on tasks relating to her past experience.

 

Overall, a solid evaluation--things to work on, but significant progress and growth made over the year.  File complete until 2013.
 

Signed,
Me

No comments:

Post a Comment