Tuesday, December 25, 2012

It Goes Without Saying

A number of years ago, my then Executive Producer was interviewed about the directing team on One Life to Live.  I distinctly remember him talking about how, when you had a directing team that worked together regularly, there became a shorthand, so that the process could happen without saying all the words.  The Stage Managers and ADs could anticipate the Director's needs, and the ADs, PAs, and Stage Managers could work together so well, they could get the job done almost seamlessly.

Today, with my family, I've been reminded how empowering that can be.  It's been a day of not doing that much--just going through old clothes, books, and papers, sharing meals--but there has been that same feeling of finishing each other's thoughts, knowing which stories from our shared past will make us all laugh.  There really is nothing quite like a group knowing each other that way.  For me, it has actually allowed me to relax a little from my job search stress.  After all, while scouring the Internet and networking and writing multiple cover letters may be stressful, even wearying, it is the absence of that team, that shorthand among colleagues that is even more wearying.

When I was with my "team" in the midst of production, we knew we could get it done if we stuck together.  As a freelancer, I am on my own, so whatever "team" I assemble is defined not necessarily by job titles, but by my ability to reach out to like-minded people.  While someday this may change, for now, I'm just grateful for family filling the gap.  Because sometimes it's easy to say all the words.  And sometimes I hope some things can go without saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment