Friday, December 14, 2012

Time Flies

It is Friday again.  As slowly as the minutes seem to go when I'm sitting at the computer each day, 3:15, when I go to meet my son's bus, always comes quicker than I expect.  And the weeks, even if they sometimes seem to produce nothing, just keep flying.  In a few weeks, it will be a whole year that has flown.
 

When I was working a million hours a week, I had to use every spare minute to get the rest of my life tasks done. While I often felt that I couldn't do it all, with the help of some very good babysitters, I kind of did.  Did I see everything my kids were doing? Well, no, but it felt as though I was there for the big things, and in the meantime, I made sure that the bases were covered when I wasn't there for the small ones.  The weeks flew, but why wouldn't they, when we were all doing so much?
 

Now the time is flying, and while my kids are still doing big things and small things, and I am now there for both, I am not packing my hours the way I used to.  I'm doing a whole lot more waiting than doing, and instead of moving full speed ahead as I used to, I find myself too often going half speed, often in circles.  Time is flying, and I am not flying with it. I'm more like drifting, which I intended never to do.
 

As I read the news of today's events, the need to use every minute feels even more important.  So as I hug my children and remember how great it is when they come home each day, I also resolve to make the rest of my days full of more than just waiting.  I owe that to them.  And I owe it to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment