Saturday, December 29, 2012

Saturday on a Schedule

Very often, weekends and vacations mean long stretches of unstructured time, days that seem long at first, then finish quickly.  Sometimes that's okay, but on this, the last day with her relatives, my daughter decided that there was too much to do just to let the day go by.  So last night, as the rest of us got ready for bed, she crafted a schedule, a fifteen-item schedule, to guide not just her own time today, but all of ours. Number one on the list--waking up significantly earlier than she EVER would on a non-school day.  We spent the day being either ahead of or behind the schedule, but, by golly, as I look at it now, I see that we checked off every box.  Every one.
 

I have been known to make to-do lists for my days--at least once in a while on paper and not just in my head.  I spent several years as a PA helping directors schedule shooting days and part of a year scheduling production weeks as a producer.  I know first-hand that more gets done when there is written evidence that more is supposed to get done.  But sometimes it takes a child to remind us grownups that a piece of paper makes us accountable.  We did everything we wanted to do today (and actually had time to spare for a few non-list items) because my daughter made a schedule and committed to following it.  I don't know that we will wake up quite so early on the kids' last few vacation days, but perhaps a schedule will ensure that those days don't just fly by.
 

And you'd better believe I'll be taking my daughter's schedule solution so I can start catching up the minute they go back to school!

No comments:

Post a Comment