Sunday, May 4, 2014

9 to 5

My daughter is performing in a production of 9 to 5 this weekend and next, and I couldn't help thinking, as I watched it, how lucky I have been in my career and workplaces. (Bear in mind here that no job I have ever had has been 9-5. Ahh, the joy of TV production!)
 

1. I have never been called "one of the girls," though early on, producers and actors did refer to me and the other front office PAs as "the kids."
 

2. I have been lucky enough to have friends at work (and lucky enough never to have chased a dead body in a hospital with those friends).
 

3. I used typewriters like the props they are using when I was first working. And yes, the quality of correction tape and correction fluid DID matter back then.
 

4. It is, in fact, true (at least in the places where I have worked) that getting along with your coworkers is often at least as important as doing your job well.
 

5. I have never kidnapped or almost poisoned a boss (and I would be hard-pressed to find a garage door opener in the city to use for this purpose). But planning adventures with friends at work can be a lot of fun anyway.
 

If you're confused by any of these references, feel free to do a little 80s movie research. Better yet, see the musical next weekend. Believe me, it'll make your workplace (no matter where it is) look pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment