Thursday, May 8, 2014

Telling A Good Story

Tonight, my daughter came across a copy of the video I Can Do That, which I made close to fifteen years ago to introduce girls to non-traditional careers. When she wanted to watch it, I wondered what she would think. Even more, I wondered what I would think. While certainly the making of it and its distribution to thousands of schools were things of which I was and am proud, I wondered if its content would hold up all these years later. I held my breath, and she pressed "play."
 

As I watched, I noticed technical things I would do differently. I noticed things that today's video equipment would improve and things about pacing that would closer match the attention spans of today's music video/Twitter/Instagram kids.
 

What I noticed more, however, was how relevant the content still seemed. Career women discussed math education and communication skills and the importance of believing in yourself and your dreams and abilities. They discussed the difficulties of getting where they are and the rewards of doing what they do. And as I watched, I realized that all of these things are just as relevant now (for young girls and for seasoned professionals) as they were all those years ago. What is considered "non-traditional" may have changed, but the skills needed to break boundaries and to move ahead are essentially the same.
 

What also remains the same is the power of good storytelling. For, whatever its technical shortcomings, the video tells a story. Just like the blog I write each day, or the chapter I am penning, or the news feature packages I am learning how to craft. If you tell a good story, it will hold up--and it will hold the viewer/reader.
 

Watching the video reminded me of the offices and rooftops and outdoor gardens where we shot all of its parts. And it reminded me that when you believe that you can and should do something (and surround yourself with the right team to do it), you really can accomplish great things.
 

Tell a good story--I can do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment