Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Does A Cap Mean You Made The Team?

I came home today with an Arise News baseball cap. Now, I'm not much of a hat person, but I was kind of excited. Just as excited as I was when we got Arise News pens a few weeks ago. It's not that I can be bought. (Though I remember some of the gifts at Cosby being pretty darn good). And, if I could be bought, I suspect it would take more than a pen and a baseball cap. What made it exciting was the idea that a production set-up that started just over a year ago (and started for me less than eight months ago) seems to be thriving. And the idea that I am part of the team thriving with it.
 

One of the best things (besides steady work and good pay) about ABC, and then Cosby, and, to a certain extent, Soap Camp was the feeling of being part of a team. Perhaps it was purely a function of endurance. Because these shows lasted a while, and I lasted with them, there was time to forge real connections--professional and personal. There was time to understand how the pieces and people fit together. Which meant that logo gifts were not just gifts--they were symbols of being on a team. These teams did not last forever, but I felt a part of them. As interesting as freelancing may be, there is something comforting about landing--at least for a while. Stopping long enough to be a part of something. Long enough to get a hat, and, with it, a feeling of belonging.
 

Don't expect to see me playing company softball any time soon. For now, it just feels nice to have the hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment