Saturday, May 17, 2014

I Don't--I Mean, I Didn't--Know

"I'm embarrassed to say," I said, "that I've never done that before. But," I quickly added, "give me a minute. I'll figure it out."
 

It doesn't matter too much what "that" was. As an editor, I am always coming upon things, technical and otherwise, that I have never done. Different projects have different requirements, and short of spending days just trying things, you will not necessarily encounter everything in the projects you do. But I digress.
 

So, I made this confession, feeling, for just a moment, unqualified at my edit station. And then I Googled my question, and called a fellow editor, and within moments, I had not only learned the "that," I had also repeated it ten times and taken a screen shot of it for future reference. In the course of fifteen minutes, I had taken something I was embarrassed not to know, and turned it into something brand new for my bag of tricks. All because I was brave enough to say I didn't know, quick enough to look up a solution, and humble enough to ask for help.
 

Sometimes, the key is not how long you've been doing something, or how much you know. Sometimes it's how you handle what you DON'T know that is the true test.

No comments:

Post a Comment