Thursday, May 1, 2014

Follow Up

As promised, a second post inspired by yesterday's networking event..,
 

Just when you think that a networking event is about meeting new people, you realize that it is also about reconnecting with old ones.
 

I thought I might be standing around, nervously awaiting six-minute meetings that could change my life. (Is it really possible for a six-minute meeting to change your life?!) Instead, I found myself catching up with old friends and trading work/life tips with people I'd never met before. In doing so, I discovered not only the words for my six-minute meetings, but a little life perspective as well. In isolation, it is easy to bemoan the difficulties of our situations. When we network, in any way, we remind ourselves of the other challenges that are out there. In isolation, we may think we have a clear picture. When we network, we discover that the picture isn't always what it seems.
 

I am following up on all the connections and re-connections I made last night. As exciting as networking with people, new and old, may be, it is only a blip in time if you don't follow up to extend it past that.
 

It's no wonder the term is "follow up." Six-minute meetings may not lead to anything. But following up is how we make sure we're looking forward. If we follow through on those connections we've made, it can't help but make us look UP from our isolation. And move up (wherever our UP may be) from where we are now. Reminiscing about the past, perhaps, but always, always looking forward. And up.

No comments:

Post a Comment