Thursday, May 15, 2014

Serendipity

There's a restaurant in NY called Serendipity. It's a dessert place mostly, which would lead one to believe I have been there. I have not.
 

Yet, there is non-dessert-bearing serendipity just about every day of my life. When I leave later than normal for work, and run into a neighbor I wouldn't have seen had I left on time--serendipity. When I wait for my son's school bus to pull away, rather than walking away as soon as he's on, and then encounter a fellow parent I never get to see--serendipity. When I decide to walk on certain blocks and happen to pass an eager coffee shop employee handing out doughnut or smoothie samples-- serendipity. Serendipity is like the world's antidote to "the sky is falling." It reminds you that sometimes, the things that seem bad turn out well, rather than the things that seem bad getting worse. It places little surprises in your path, and turns a mundane or even an annoying day into a satisfying one.
 

These last few days, serendipity was on my side. I had a free doughnut hole, and a great conversation. I followed links in an article online, and ended up reconnecting with old contacts. I went to the library looking for one thing, and discovered three others.
 

You don't have to go to a special restaurant to experience a little serendipity. You just have leave yourself open to what's around you, and to the fact that, most of the time, the sky is not falling. Serendipity's there--you'll find it. You just might be on your own for dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment