Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Elephant and Piggie

I spent the better part of today (well, not really that much, even though my arms would say otherwise) carrying around 21 Mo Willems Elephant and Piggie books. You see, I bought them from an online school auction, and then had to retrieve them. And since every part of my day tends to intersect with every other part, the books went with me to the subway, to a photo printing place, to work, and through about 20 walking blocks along the way. The books were heavy, but now they are home, and I think I would do it all over again.
 

My children are far out of the target age range for Elephant and Piggie. How is it, then, that I ended up buying the whole set in an auction, especially knowing full well that I'd be carrying it all over the city? It clearly wasn't a gesture of Supermom-hood, as many of my daily adventures turn out to be. Was it my fascination with auctions, or my desire to support the school? Or was it simply that sometimes, you just have to treat yourself to a good laugh? I could have supported the school by bidding on fancy handbags or theater tickets, or by writing a check. Instead, I chose Elephant and Piggie.
 

As I began to look through the books, I was reminded of what I love so much about them-- their ability to take relatively normal events and make them funny--and their ability to come back--always--to sharing the funny (or the stressful or the sad) with a friend.
 

That's a lot of adult stuff thrust upon some really adorable kids' books. Maybe it's just that the pictures crack me up, and that the words are pretty funny too.
 

In any case, I am now the proud owner of quite a few laughs, purchased not really as a gift or for my kids, but for myself. If you hear me chuckling, or quoting a small but powerful elephant or pig, now you'll know why.

No comments:

Post a Comment