Friday, May 2, 2014

Emmy Nom Day

I thought I was past this. After all, I no longer go each day to a place where people are agonizing over choosing their submissions and scrambling to make copies and awaiting the announcement day and distributing the Television Academy press release listing all the Daytime Emmy nominees. I didn't even remember that said document and the announcement were even happening today--until I started getting emails. First entertainment news alerts, then Facebook post alerts and congrats messages.
 

For, you see, in the midst of all of it, One Life to Live and All My Children--the online, "Soap Camp" versions--were each nominated in multiple categories (OLTL-7, AMC-4). And, lo and behold, I am part of the OLTL directing team that was nominated.
 

It is a nominations list full of my friends from twenty years in soaps. People are all over now, but the soap world was, and is, a small one, so the nominations included people I worked with last year, and ones I worked with twenty years ago, who are now at other soaps across the country.
 

Despite my having been aware of the judging process, it somehow didn't occur to me that I'd be reading today's list, much less finding myself on it. "Soap Camp" feels like a long time ago now, and we move on. And perhaps that's what made today kind of exciting. We all like to believe that things we did mattered--made some kind of lasting impression. And, at least for this small moment in time, it feels as though my involvement in "Soap Camp," the online soaps adventure in Connecticut, DID matter. It may have been short-lived, but, in some small way, it did matter, both in terms of the content we made, and in terms of the ground we broke that put online content right next to network TV content. And, lucky me, I got to be a part of it. And got to be nominated for an Emmy to boot.
 

Which, I guess, is what sometimes happens when you stick around for the cliffhanger.

No comments:

Post a Comment