Saturday, July 12, 2014

Ahh, Perspective

What I've been doing recently is editing news footage--you know, the video that you are seeing when the newscaster is talking about things happening in places all over the world. Some days, it's amazing that we pull together the elements in time for them to be played for the newscast. Pretty much every day, it's amazing to see what's actually happening in places all over the world.

I am a person who enjoys process. I enjoy putting together the puzzle pieces of a story. I enjoy the urgency of getting the pieces together in time. Many days, I am so consumed by the process that I almost don't register the content. But today, I saw one too many neighborhoods buried in rubble, one too many children wandering among dead bodies, one too many countries where epidemic has taken over.

And as I walk home in a city of what now appears like relative normalcy, and drive on highways lined with green, I realize that my perspective has changed, at least for today.

I can't fix what is happening in all those places. I can just keep doing my part to help people see it. So that we all, little by little, get a bit of perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment