Tuesday, July 15, 2014

What To Expect

Do you ever see in advance what your day will look like? Imagine the conversations you'll have? Know that it's gonna be a lousy day? Or a great one?
 

I don't very often have the time or energy to do any of this, which I'm beginning to think is actually okay, since most of the time, days end up not a whole lot the way you imagined them. Much of the time, you walk out the door, raring to go, only to get rained on when you've forgotten your umbrella. Or you drag yourself out the door, hoping you will just make it home in one piece, only to find that the day turns out to be your best all week.
 

The truth is, we don't really know how our days are going to turn out until we're in the middle of them. We don't know how much we'll be able to handle. We don't really know whose paths we'll cross. And we don't know when we'll find resources within ourselves or out in the world that can completely change the day.
 

So, I don't spend a lot of time guessing. I bound out the door when I can, and drag myself out when I have to. And I hope that when I return, there will be people who either listen if things didn't go well or celebrate with me if they did.
 

And that's about all I can expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment