Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Another Lifetime To Live

I arrived home to a large box containing an Emmy, my Emmy, won as part of the directing team at the online version of One Life to Live. The work for which we won feels like a lifetime ago, and maybe it just about was. The Emmy may have been awarded in 2014, but, Emmys working how they do, it was for 2013 shows. The Emmy may have been awarded six months ago, but ordering and mailing being what they are, the statue is like a holiday gift. And in a lot of ways, the life I am living now, almost two years later, really is another lifetime.
 

Two years ago, I was going into Christmas/New Year's week unemployed and discouraged, only to receive a tentative call about the soaps just after Christmas. Today, I am working, fairly regularly.
 

Two years ago, I accepted the job at the soaps and spent five months commuting to a different state each day, often returning to fall into bed long after my family was asleep. Today, I walk to and from work, and share dinner (not 6pm dinner, but still, dinner), with my husband and children.
 

Two years ago, I was celebrating the rebirth of what had once been. Today, I am discovering daily what might be.
 

Two years ago, I couldn't have imagined working in news or being an editor every day. Today, I am doing both.
 

Two years ago, I was on the "help me" end of having coffee with friends. Today, I can try to be of help.
 

My new Emmy will join the ones I won while at ABC--an exciting, yet somewhat mind-boggling addition. Who would have thought that what lasted such a short time could yield such a large reminder of that other lifetime?
 

These days, I suppose that many of us live through what feel like multiple lifetimes. Whether because of job change or other circumstances, we are constantly called upon to reinvent what we call our lives, and most of the time, we do it, stepping bravely (or not so bravely) into our next lifetime. Do I miss the lifetime that led to the big Emmy box? Sometimes. But right now, I'm too busy managing my new lifetime to think too much about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment