Sunday, December 21, 2014

Lucky To Have Known You

Twenty-something years ago, when I started out as a production secretary at One Life to Live, a director (who, I soon found out, had essentially pioneered soap directing) took the time to talk to me. This director, to whom I sent script and floor plan packages so often that I knew his address and phone number by heart, taught me how things were done--and done correctly. He cared deeply about the work we were doing, and more importantly, about the people who were doing it. And when I had learned enough to become a booth PA timing his shows and helping him give notes to the actors, he continued to support my endeavors. He was one in a series of mentors who have shaped my career and life for over twenty years.
 

Larry Auerbach died today. Ironically, just a few days ago, I referenced him in my "I'll Be You" post. While twenty-something years of work days may blend together, certain influences stick with you, and Larry was one of those influences for me. I still remember his shot number stamp and my standing with him as he gave notes to the actors. I remember hearing from him when I was making an educational video, and getting a long letter from him in response to a holiday card I'd sent with pictures of my kids. I am part of the Directors Guild because of Larry, and a beneficiary of its programs because of all the battles he fought to make the DGA stronger. Like so many other people in television, especially those of us in multi-camera television in New York, I am better off because of Larry.
 

And I feel incredibly lucky to have known and worked with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment