Thursday, December 25, 2014

Holiday Illusions

I spent the day relatively unaware of Christmas Eve--well, except for the pre-taped segments and the videos for "news" stories about Santa Claus. The streets seemed no more or less crowded. The people seemed no more or less dressed for a holiday. I edited the news as on any other day. As I walked home, the bouncers were still outside the bars, the streets were still full of people, the stores--well, at least some of them--were still open. I guess that's Christmas Eve in the city.
 

Now, I suppose what I saw as normalcy was not quite that. I'm sure that many of the stores and restaurants were actually NOT open. I imagine that many of the people at my work were heading straight to Christmas Eve festivities. I'm sure that at least some of the people on the street were on their way to or from holiday events, not just home from work. I know that instead of doing homework, my kids were enjoying their first day of holiday break. I remember that I am just about ready to have a little break myself, courtesy of this holiday season.
 

And I am realizing today, as I do every day, that sometimes what you see on the surface is not quite the whole picture. Sometimes, what's underneath, and behind, and real can a whole lot better. So it's important to keep looking.
 

Happy Holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment