Saturday, December 20, 2014

Wrap

There was a crew picture. A parting gift. Hugs and handshakes and "happy holidays" and "hope to work with you somewhere soon." My most recent gig is over, and the wrap made it feel as though six or seven weeks had been months, or even years. One might argue that the hours put in added up to more than the actual six or seven weeks, but overall, that is how it often goes in production--the intensity of working together on a project makes the wrap of that project a big deal.
 

As I said my goodbyes, to people I'd worked with in other places and people I'd met there, I couldn't help but think about the other wraps I'd been through--OLTL at ABC, Cosby--and the jobs I'd had that had just kind of ended, like the soaps in Connecticut, and a variety of reality shows. It may seem strange to make a big deal after a relatively short period of time, but there is something nice about celebrating, and celebrating connections, rather than just heading off to the next job. It's not about the party (well, at least not for me). It's about the moment taken to recognize the group effort, and it is a reminder that while the team needed may be large, the production world is actually pretty small.
 

I am hopeful that I will work again with many of the people in the giant crew photo. The wrap day was just another day at work--and yet, a reminder of how lucky I felt to have worked with all those people in the photo now.

No comments:

Post a Comment