Monday, January 26, 2015

By The Book

I recently came across an Edith Wharton novel in my building's book exchange, and with a little unscheduled time off this past week, I have found myself transported back to the 1870's while my children do homework, while I'm at drop off events, and even at bedtime.
 

I am not a person who normally lives in yesterday, much less the 1870's. I tend to read what pertains to what I need to get done--industry news, child-rearing articles, current events. If it's short, even better. In a life when sometimes it's hard even to keep up, there's just not time to sit still, transported to another time. Yet, this week, I was carried away to a bit of high society--a bit of not going out if not properly dressed, a world in which my daughters could not be traveling the city alone, a time in which I would certainly not be working or looking for work, much less checking for moment to moment email updates about work or anything else.
 

My little trip into the 19th century could make me long for the relative simplicity, the slower pace pre-technology. But while I am enjoying my visits into this different time, I am actually happy when I come back. The days of relative leisure might seem tempting, but I quickly return to checking my email and preparing to work. The elegant wardrobes may catch my imagination, but I am grateful that I can pull on a pair of jeans or fuzzy pants for my day.
 

Who knew that a trip into another time and some other places would make me grateful for just where I am? Sometimes, in life, it's hard to see past all the things right in front of us, all the things that HAVE to get done. Leave it to a book in our laps to allow us see just a little bit farther.

No comments:

Post a Comment