Thursday, January 1, 2015

New Year's Questions

On New Year's Eve, many people make resolutions--things they say they will surely do differently, see differently, handle differently.
 

I tend to come out of New Year's with far more questions than resolutions. Will I live smarter, or more successfully, or healthier? Will choices be easier to make? Will I get more sleep? Will I be a better spouse, parent, communicator? Will I hit next New Year's Eve with a significantly different view of life than I have now?
 

I suppose that the people who make resolutions are really just choosing to answer all these questions, or at least trying to make sure the answers will be good ones, which seems a bit overwhelming to me. The best I can do, I guess, is to ask the questions, because sometimes, we find our answers just by finding the right questions. Will I be richer, thinner, happier, healthier a year from now? Who knows? I have a hard time predicting tomorrow--how could I possibly predict next year? Hopefully, however, asking the questions is at least a step in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment