Saturday, January 3, 2015

What Lingers

It has been years now since my time at ABC ended, but my hope for predictability lingers. 

It has been over a year since I was really "between jobs," but the fear of joblessness lingers.
 

It has been a while since I counted every penny spent on afterschool snacks and "I wants" and things that just come up, but the memory of just small change in my pockets lingers.


It has been hundreds of afternoons since I was the one doing the daily bus-meeting and the transporting, but the wondering whether it was good for my family lingers.


It has been just days since I was away from home and the accompanying home chores and responsibilities, but the thoughts of that freedom linger.
 

It has been just hours since I woke from the good sleep I got without an alarm, and I am trying to make that rested feeling linger.
 

Some things don't go away, no matter how far we think we've come since they were present daily in our lives. The memories and the feelings linger, informing every bit of who we are today. In some ways, we never really do "get past" anything. Circumstances may be new, but the effects of what came before--for better or for worse--those linger on.

No comments:

Post a Comment