Thursday, January 22, 2015

Twenty Years=Three Minutes

Today, as I cut a reel of some of my editing work, I had the uncanny experience of seeing close to twenty years collapse into less than three minutes.
 

Now, the three minute part was not unexpected. After all, few people viewing a reel will have an attention span of much more than three minutes, so I went in to the endeavor with three minutes in mind. What surprised me, I think, was how the work included not only projects years apart, but projects wildly different from each other. It's one thing to say that you've gone from dramatic television to news. It's quite another to see clips from those two worlds--and a few others--right next to each other. And while the reel leaves out several of the things I've done in between--you don't always get clips from a gig--it fairly well tells the story of the journey I've taken.
 

I'm not sure what my newly created reel will accomplish for me professionally. As with a résumé, you try to put your best foot forward, but you can't be sure where that foot will land. But making the reel was definitely an eye-opener--a look back at where I've been, and a chance to think forward about where I'd like to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment