Thursday, January 29, 2015

On Faith

Each day, we accept a great many things "on faith." Faith need not be a religious term. It is simply that belief we can have without backup evidence. Even the most cynical among us take things on faith all the time.
 

Earlier this week, I took it on faith that my children would travel to and from school safely despite the snow. By day's end, when they were all back in our apartment, I knew that my faith had been justified. Many days, I take it on faith that an email I have sent has arrived at its destination. Does "auto-reply" count as confirmation of faith? Some days, I simply take it on faith that tomorrow will be different, and I suppose that any way you look at it, tomorrow is ALWAYS different, even in the smallest of ways.
 

How, though, do we know when our faith is justified? We could take things on faith all the time, but at what point does that become not trusting, but foolish?
 

The way I see it, our faith needs to be paired with a dose of reality. There's nothing wrong with faith in people who deserve it, or faith in a system you would like to work, but when that faith gets in the way of making smart decisions, when it blinds you to other things around you, then taking it on faith becomes a roadblock, rather than a path. And both in freelancing and in parenting, you need as many paths open to you as possible, with as few roadblocks as possible. So, I will keep being the faithful person that I am--just faithful and smart. Because even when you're taking it on faith, a little "smart" helps to keep the path you need just a little bit clearer.

No comments:

Post a Comment