Thursday, January 8, 2015

Surprise Me

I love when people find out, either on their own, or in talking to me, that I write a daily blog. It's nice, of course, that it increases my potential readership, but more than that, it says that I am more than what people see every day--more than just an editor, more than just a soap vet, more than just a parent. It's not that any of those things is unimportant--it's just that it's nice to have a little surprise up your sleeve.
 

Not everyone writes a daily blog, but I am learning that a great many people have sleeves full of surprises. Mild-mannered techies who do standup comedy or play in bands, parents who improv, managers who are also theater gurus. I would venture to say that each of us has a side, or a side interest, that would surprise people--something that informs the person they see daily, but seems nothing like that person. It's a reminder to them, and to ourselves, that we need not be defined by the jobs we do eight to twelve hours a day. Rather, we are people defined by lots of things, just one of them the way in which we make our money or identify ourselves professionally.
 

While I might like the world already to know that I blog daily, it is still a treat when it's a surprise--as much as it is for me when I find out something I didn't know about a person I see every day. It's a reminder that we are all a little more than what we seem.
 

So, go ahead--I'm sure you can--surprise me.

No comments:

Post a Comment