Saturday, January 31, 2015

Telling My Story

I reworked my résumé today--again. It's amazing, actually, how you can look at the same document, that presumably describes the same person (I mean, I'm still me, right?), and overhaul it so completely so often. Yet, the same information, presented in a different way, does tell a different story, and sometimes, I'm not looking to tell someone my WHOLE story. Often, it's quite enough to stick with the high points, or the matching points, or just the points that go along with a job.

I guess that's one of the tricky things about a career that has gone in a number of directions. While I don't think of myself as having changed professions, even my soap work contained split jobs--half production, half post-production. And if a résumé is meant to tell a story, mine becomes a rather long story to tell.

So, today, I re-ordered my story. There's no denying that I've been in a lot of places, but instead of listing them all, I'm stopping a little in my storytelling to describe some of them. Because sometimes a list leaves a lot of gaps in the story. And sometimes it makes more sense to tell just part of the story in more detail.

Tomorrow, I may tell a different story. After all, as not every viewer relates to the same shows, not every reader relates to the same material, and it's important to know (or try to know) your audience. But if what I am (whether in print or in production or in post) is a storyteller, then telling my story differently each time should be a piece of cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment