Friday, March 18, 2016

Out Of Context

I once thought that at a certain point in my life, I'd be at a certain level of work and salary. I once thought that at a certain point in my life, I'd have a certain degree of power, a certain amount of control. I once thought that at a certain point in my life, things would look, well, different than they do now.

The problem is, often how we think things will be is a thought in a vacuum. We can't always know that circumstances totally unrelated to us will change, and that those actually related to us will shift too. We envision based on the context of the current "now," but our reality is determined by the context of the "now" of the future.

My current life doesn't look quite like what I imagined as I sat in a soap control room. My current life doesn't look quite like the kids' TV world I envisioned when the soaps were ending. Some days, my current life doesn't even look like what I planned two weeks ago. But when I put it all into the context of now, what I imagined, or envisioned, or planned isn't what really matters. What matters is that, in the context of "now," what I am doing is working--or at least working as best as is currently possible.

We may not always get what we wanted, or what we thought we wanted. But when we put our wants in the context of "now," we can come a lot closer to getting what works.

No comments:

Post a Comment