Sunday, July 10, 2016

Turning The Clock

Today, instead of working overnight, I worked all the hours BUT the overnight. I arrived as the overnighters left, and I left shortly before they returned. I slept at home, at night, but worked all day. And when day was done, I literally forced myself to sleep. I guess that's how it is when you turn the clock on yourself.

It was unquestionably nice to sleep in my own bed at night. It was unquestionably nice to feel as though if I needed to, I could go outside during my breaks (which I wouldn't do at 3am!). But I think the nicest thing of all was the realization that I COULD do it--that I am still flexible enough and adaptable enough to turn the clock or the place or the situation on myself and still be able to function, and function well.

Perhaps what we seek each day is stability--financial stability, logistical stability, psychological stability. We like there to be patterns, so that we know what to do, and how to do it, where to go, and when to get there. But life doesn't always come with stability. More often, it comes with constant change, and the need for constant adaptation. If we are to survive, then, and survive well, we must be able to manage the changes and work well within them. Today showed me that I can do that, and do it effectively. It reminded me that whatever time it is, whether I am coming or going, I can manage the turning of the clock. And when we can do that, we have a good chance of making good use of our hours--no matter what time it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment