Friday, July 19, 2013

Being There

There is some indication that the heat will break a little after today, which is good, because despite the fact that I have sent my son to outdoor baseball camp all week (bad mommy), I will be lousy with him next week (bad mommy) if our scheduled week of adventures has me running around in 95 degree heat. I am already iffy about his amusement park idea (bad mommy), since I can't imagine putting him on rides alone or getting ride-sick when I'm the only person there with him (bad mommy, and in public!)

I have spent a lifetime working many hours to make the money for all the adventures but rarely having the time to be a part of all the adventures. Now, while I'm excited about "being there," I am also crazy afraid that my version of "being there" will make my young co-adventurer eager to send me back to work. But I guess that's just the way it is when you're a go-to-work parent, or perhaps when you are any kind of parent at all. Your own needs and abilities aren't always going to match the needs and abilities of your kids, and so along the way, someone is going to be either disappointed or exhausted or both. And yes, you will run the risk of being bad mommy.

But where would we get in life if we didn't forge through "crazy afraid" to get to "being there"? So I'm ready for our week of adventure, bad mommy risk and all. At the very least, it will likely make for some hugely entertaining blog posts. And if we're lucky, it will be a mom/son week to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment