Friday, July 26, 2013

Sidekicks

As I rode the train this morning, I actually felt the absence of the small sidekick who has been with me all week. After riding numerous buses and trains with my son every day, both in and out of NY, I found it odd to be alone, to have my phone to myself, and to have no one to whom I could point out people on the train and scenery outside of it. For most of this week, he was not just my kid, he was my sidekick.

Some of our very favorite characters rely constantly on their sidekicks. What would Batman do without Robin? What would Snoopy do without Woodstock? What would Lucy do without Ethel? Somehow, when you're working out things, or have things you want to share, or when you just want to have a little adventure, a sidekick makes it all better, more fun.

I used to think that the baby age was so great, and don't get me wrong, I did love that stage with my kids. But now that they are older, the fact that they can be sidekicks to me, and to each other, has been a lovely new development. They can help with navigation and get me to go on adventures I might otherwise pass up. They can make the mundane a little more exciting, and sometimes even prop me up if I need a little of that.

The way I see it, jobs (and many other things) may come and go, but ask Lucy and Ethel, Snoopy and Woodstock--a really good sidekick is forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment