Saturday, July 6, 2013

If A Tree Falls...

For the first time since Hurricane Sandy, I have found myself without Internet, and so, unable to post my blog. On July 4th, I had already written before I realized the post couldn't go anywhere, but today, I knew before writing, so what would I do? Just skip a day? Or write in the spirit of my daily commitment and in the hope of making multiple posts once I was able? After all, if you write a blog post but don't post it for anyone to read, is it really a blog post anyway?

And then, in the course of my day, I came across a copy of a new book, P.S. Be Eleven, the sequel to the middle grade novel One Crazy Summer I read a year ago in preparation for a Children's Media Association event. I'd enjoyed the book (and the author's talk) so much that I'd read all about her beginning to write while doing a day job. She wanted something so much that she gave her time and made a commitment to go after it. And there was my answer. My writing Notwashedupyet posts each day is not just a commitment to the people who read. It is a commitment to myself--to take the energy that once had me considering writing a book and put it into what is for right now more manageable--writing every day. Not enough to be a book, but enough to be a complete thought, enough to help myself, and perhaps some other people, process what goes on in a work and family life each day.

So, hopefully, a day or two from now, several posts will go up at the same time. In the meantime, I'll be writing. And reading P.S. Be Eleven.

No comments:

Post a Comment