Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Changes of Scenery

I remember when I first stopped working at ABC, I was incredibly excited about the opportunity to spend time in my own building and neighborhood during the day. After all, I had spent years leaving early and returning late, never being able to get any sense of the area where I lived.

Within a few months, the novelty of my neighborhood had somewhat worn off, particularly given that being unemployed, I spent most of my time inside sending resumes so that I wouldn't be outside spending money. And in the midst of all this, the neighborhood where I'd worked became strange to me--I'd gone there on auto-pilot for so many years, and yet the change of scenery completely changed my view.

Today, my son and I hopped a bus out of town, and for just a day, had our very own change of scenery. A place with cars and highways and open areas and larger living spaces. And it was amazing to see how stepping out of our day-to-day normal made us both think a little clearer, look a little closer, enjoy things a little more.

Tomorrow, we will return to our own neighborhood, the scenery of our everyday life. I can only hope that today's change of scenery will make the normal look a little more unusual, and the day-to-day a little more fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment