Saturday, July 6, 2013

Free

On this Fourth of July, when I was probably supposed to go to a patriotic parade, I slept a lot and went shopping. And as we drove to see free country fireworks (which turned out not to exist this year!), I began to think about all the things in our lives that are free.

1. Fireworks. Obviously very expensive for the people who put them on, but quite often free for those of us who want to watch.

2. Lying in a hammock with a breeze. Too bad I tend to fall asleep so quickly, I don't appreciate the "free" for very long!

3. Hugs from children. Okay, there are times when the hug has "I want something" mixed into it, but sometimes a hug is just a hug. And it's free.

4. Wifi at the public library (well, at least in NYC). When I was between jobs, I couldn't always justify paying for a Starbucks coffee to get free Wifi there, but I could browse the shelves at the library, and no one expected me to buy anything.

5. Cleaning up. Okay, free doesn't always mean fun. And hey, I often find money in backpacks and couch cushions when I clean, so it's not just free, it's profitable.

6. Saying something nice about someone, whether just to be friendly or to help that someone get a job. Free to you, priceless to the someone.

On this celebration of freedom, hope you've enjoyed being free and all that comes for free.

No comments:

Post a Comment