Thursday, July 11, 2013

My Corner of the Couch

Most nights, I end up on the couch. Not to watch TV, just to take a small respite from the noise and running around of the day. To stop and listen to someone play the piano, or have someone lean against me to read, or simply to write my blog. It is just a corner of what is now a fairly old couch, and it is really right in the middle of all the action in my apartment, yet, somehow, curling up there takes the edge off a rough day and gives me space to appreciate a good one.

Most of us do an awful lot of moving around during our days. Even if our jobs are seemingly sedentary, there is the going to and from, not to mention all the side trips before and after work to make sure all is taken care of for home. So, in my opinion, it's important to have a place at the end of the day where the moving can just stop, a place that reminds us, even just for a few minutes, that we are home again. And since a  home is often defined by the noise and activity of its inhabitants, what better place than a central couch to soak up the feeling of home (and to drift off for a catnap if necessary)?

So if it's the end of your day, or when it is, I highly recommend finding your own "corner of the couch." It'll let you stop, AND keep you going.

No comments:

Post a Comment