Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Making Plans

Freelancing is a little like dating--there's the excitement of something new, but also the insecurity of something well, uncertain. Will it continue, will we keep liking each other, what will I have to do to prove myself, and if it ends, will I find something just as good or better? And how long will finding something else take?

For years, though I was technically freelance, I was working long-term--kind of like dating that turns into marriage. And while both long-term work and marriage have their challenges and quirks, there is a certain security there that just doesn't exist when you're truly freelance.

In the last few weeks, with the entrance of OWN and the beginnings of scheduling more production, the soaps online have begun to feel more like a long-term endeavor rather than just dating. And so, little by little, I have begun to make plans. To work on choices for my family while factoring in my work. And that's good for everybody.

Not much is forever these days, but for now, I'll take "making plans," that step between dating and something more. Because dating might be fun, and I'm sure I'd learn a lot of things about a lot of things. But for now, a little security is nice. So, for now, I'm happy to be making plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment