Saturday, July 27, 2013

Second--And Third--Chances

Tonight, at my daughters' insistence, we saw a summer stock production of Les Miserables. I'd seen the Broadway production years ago, and remembered several good songs and the good nap I took halfway through Act 2. And the intensity of the recent movie was just too much for me. So I was hesitant, to say the least, to give the show a second, actually third, chance.

I am happy to report that my daughters were right-- this production was fantastically acted and directed, and it moved--no room for naps this time. I can't say that I was crying at the end, but I was impressed--okay, pretty blown away--by the production values.

This is not a theater review blog, and I'm not writing to review the show I just saw. My point here is that, had I gone with my own opinion about my previous experiences with this musical, I would never have gone, and I would have missed something really good. Because I was able to step back and trust someone else's opinion, I gave myself a second, actually third, chance.

Second chances are hard. We don't like to be wrong, and we certainly don't like to be wrong twice. And yet, some of our best experiences come when we leave ourselves open to new experiences. And even something like the same show can be different when placed in different hands (and handed to different places!)

So here's to second, and third, chances. (And nights of good theater).

1 comment:

  1. We're going to London in a few weeks. Alan and Andrew want to see Les Miserables so we have tickets. I was not looking forward to it. I am now. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete