Monday, February 11, 2013

Classic

Not two hours into Day 2 of my 2 1/2 day gig, my phone buzzed.  And buzzed again. And again.  Until I turned off the buzz because I was in the middle of watching an orchestra rehearsal.  But I knew, with that many buzzes, something was wrong.  And when I was able to check, "Buzz 1" was from the school nurse--"Your child has a fever. She has to be picked up." Thankfully, with the help of a good husband and a good babysitter, everything worked out.  But the fact that, after weeks of me being home, this happened on my first day (in a long time) being on a job--CLASSIC.  My first day on Bayou Billionaires, I got a call that one of my kids had thrown up at school.  What are the odds?  And how is it that I worked for so many years and almost never had these issues with my kids?
 

The "how is it?" question has an easy answer--Aggie.  For a great many of the years when I was working, I had a fantastic nanny who managed things at home--including sick kids--so that, when I was at work, I was at work.  It didn't mean I never worried about my kids, but it did mean I never had to worry that they weren't being taken care of.  But alas, older kids and only part time work later, there is no full-time "extra me" to manage these situations, and that is an adjustment for all of us.  So, while what happened today can't possibly happen every single time I start a freelance job, the fact that it did, and that people jumped in and made it work out makes me realize that we are all perfectly capable of making adjustments, and if there is one thing that I have tried to teach my family members, it is that.  In life, there is the "how things should be" and the "how things are." And the people who succeed are the ones who adjust to the "how things are" rather than bemoaning the failure of "how things should be."
 

I don't quite know how tomorrow will play out--whether things will return to normal, or whether I will have a sick-at-home child on the final day of this gig.  What I do know, though, is that we will all adjust and make it work. Because, I am proud to say, that is what we--all of us--have learned to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment