Saturday, February 9, 2013

The Big Speech

If you read earlier in the week, you may be expecting me to talk about the speech I made this morning.  But alas, the event where I was to give the speech was cancelled due to the weather, so what was to be a nervous excitement kind of a day turned into a fairly normal Saturday, full of errands, cleaning, and homework.
 

You might think (as I did), "oh, good, don't need to be nervous." We did have a good day without my speech.  I think, though, that we often forget how useful a little nervous excitement can be.  We've all felt it--when we started a new job or had to make a presentation or go on an interview.  And if we didn't let it paralyze us, didn't the nervous excitement make us stand a little straighter, think a little faster, rise to the occasion?  And if we fought through it, weren't we treated to a degree of euphoria that wouldn't have existed if we were just going through a normal day?
 

Perhaps I will have another opportunity to give the speech (though it will likely need revision, since it was based on a Torah reading that changes every week).  And I'm sure that before that, I will have other reasons for nervous excitement, which is good. There's nothing wrong with normal, but a little rising to the occasion can't help making us grow.  And though I don't need to be taller, OR older, I'll take a little healthy growth on a Saturday.  Or on any day of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment