Friday, February 8, 2013

The Joy of Parenting

Having children makes you do all sorts of things you don't want to do.  I mean, let's face it, does anyone like changing diapers or cleaning up spitup?  Or adding the cost of a babysitter to any night out?
 

But every so often, having children also lets you do things you might not otherwise be able to do. I ate many a piece of birthday cake at the numerous parties my kids attended when they were little.  I visited places like Dylan's Candy Bar for the first time because one of my children was invited there, and I got to see the video Elmopalooza because I have children. And tonight, I got to go to Friday night services because my almost 15 year old was bound and determined to do it.  Not eager to fight to convince her younger siblings, I had given up the idea.  It was snowing.  We were inside and warm.  And it would be a hard sell, particularly to my 8 year old.  But she wanted it--children often want things, as I've learned over fifteen years of parenting--and before I knew it, she'd brainwashed her brother and convinced her sister, and we all set out, snow boots and all, to be a part of the festive Shabbat service.  
I'm sure that tomorrow, I will do have to do something--or twenty somethings--I don't really want to, because of the kids.  But today, I got to do something enjoyable and worthwhile because one of my children fought for it. These kids can be a pretty useful thing.  I guess I'll keep them.

No comments:

Post a Comment