Friday, February 15, 2013

Drama and Duct Tape

We have just completed repairing my kids' karate chest protectors with an enormous amount of duct tape.  You know, the silver kind that makes a lot of noise when you pull it.  They will once again be able to withstand the punches and kicks of sparring, all thanks to a roll of silver tape.

Would that every blow we had to take in life be lessened by a roll of duct tape.  I mean, it's tough stuff.  Why can't it fix the times we hurt our kids' feelings while trying to protect them? Why can't a little duct tape fix the gap between the money coming in and the money that needs to go out, or tape up the hole in us when we feel as though we just can't do it all?
 

Many years ago, my kids and I learned how to make things like wallets out of duct tape.  We probably still have some of the ones we made. So clearly, duct tape is not just for lessening the blows.  It is capable of so much more, and so are we.  And perhaps, we are pretty strong without it.  We fix the holes, the insecure spots, ourselves, because, as well as duct tape works on chest protectors, it just wouldn't look right on us.  Much as we like how effective the duct tape is, it is up to us to find our own strength for facing the blows of life.

So, while I watched my kids tape up their karate gear, I realized that I had actually gotten through a drama-filled day without the assistance of the big silver roll.  It's good stuff. But it's okay--let there be some drama and a few blows once in a while. Duct tape or no, I can take it.

1 comment: