Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Worth It

I read yesterday that in a few weeks, the children's network Sprout will begin airing animated music videos created by Laurie Berkner and Little Airplane, a company long known for its innovative approaches to preschool television.
 

What struck me about this particular news was how it pulled together so many pieces of my experience. Two years ago, when I participated in Little Airplane's Academy "How to Make a Great Preschool Series," not only did I meet many people from Little Airplane, I also met several producers from Sprout and an up and coming producer who worked with Laurie Berkner (and who introduced me to the Children's Media Association, whose events I have been attending faithfully ever since). In two years, a collaboration whose beginnings I essentially witnessed has come to fruition.  I can't help but be excited for all of the people involved (not to mention the preschoolers who will enjoy the shows).
 

At the same time, I can't help but think about the path I have taken in the two years since that weekend at the Academy.  I am not employed in children's media, but I have learned a tremendous amount about it through my involvement with CMA.  I wrote a series of stories for preschoolers which, though not even published, may someday lead to some books or a show or an app.  And I have realized that in children's media, or perhaps in any number of things that you create, it takes a long time to make a start, a long time to make a change, a long time to make a difference.  It takes patience, and persistence, and an unwavering belief that the end result is possible.
 

I am so happy for all the people who have created "Sing It, Laurie." They clearly had that unwavering belief, and they remind me that things that are worth it take time. And that often, taking the time is well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment